Humana Dental Plans have become one of the most popular choices for employers who want to give their employees dental benefits. Humana Dental is one of the ten largest dental insurance carriers in the US, with more than 130,000 dentist locations in its network and more continually being added on a regular basis. Employers can choose from four options in Humana Dental’s portfolio:
- The Traditional Preferred Plan allows covered individuals to see any dentist they want but they will enjoy discounts of as much as 30% on out-of-pocket costs by seeing an in-network dentist. Coinsurance levels for in-network and out-network dentists, however, are the same.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Humana dental plans still allow you to see any dentist you want but you will have to pay higher out-of-pocket fees when you see an out-of-network dentist. PPO plans offer a wide range of coinsurance options.
- Preventive Plus plans offer 100% discount on preventive services such as regular cleaning, topical fluoride treatment, X-rays and oral examinations, and 50% discount on covered basic services such as emergency care to relieve pain, extractions and non-surgical root removal and amalgam and composite fillings.
- Dental Health Maintenance Organization (DHMO) plans require covered individuals and their dependents to pick a dentist from the Humana Prepaid/DHMO network who will become their primary dental care provider. All major services such as crowns and bridgework are covered.
Humana dental plans for individuals are available through Humana One Dental. There are three options you can choose from:
- Preventive Plus is a PPO-type plan that allows you to see any dentist you want but rewards you for seeing an in-network dentist by offering you discounts on covered services. The plan has no copayments and low deductibles.
- The C550 prepaid plan requires you to choose a dentist from the network who will be your primary care provider, but allows you to easily change your selection.
- The Dental Discount plan is not an insurance plan but allows you to avail of 20% to 50% on many dental care services.